Wednesday, May 20th is statewide GENDA Call-In Day. Although the Gender Expression Non-Discrimination Act (GENDA) has been passed by the Assembly and has enough support to be passed by the Senate, we need to act now to ensure that GENDA gets out of committee and to the Senate floor for a vote. The time is NOW to take action and make our final push to get the Senate to end discrimination against transgender New Yorkers.
Here’s what we need you to do on Wednesday: First, get on the phone and call lead Senate sponsor Tom Duane and tell him that you want him to bring GENDA to the Senate floor and pass it. Second, call your Senator and tell him/her the same thing. We’re in the final stretch and it is vital that they hear from you.
You can reach Senator Duane at (518) 455-2451. You can find your State Senator’s Albany phone number here.
GENDA would amend the state’s human rights law to include anti-discrimination protections based upon gender identity and expression, providing crucial civil rights protections for transgender New Yorkers by banning discrimination in housing, employment, credit, public accommodations, and other areas of everyday life. It would also add enhanced penalties for hate crimes against transgender New Yorkers. With the trial of Dwight R. DeLee in the murder of Lateisha Green set to begin next month, we’re all acutely aware of the importance of getting this legislation passed.
With more than half of the Senators indicating their support for GENDA, we know that we have enough votes to get it passed in the Senate if it comes to the floor for a vote. Now is the time to call Senator Duane and your State Senator!
Here are some things you can tell them when you call:
- You’re calling about GENDA, S.2406 (do give them the bill number).
- It is time to end discrimination against transgender New Yorkers.
- Ask lead Senate Sponsor Tom Duane to bring the bill to the floor for a vote now.
- Ask your Senator to vote for GENDA when it comes to the floor.
- 78% of New York voters support GENDA.
- Unions representing 2.1 million New Yorkers support GENDA.
- Fortune 500 companies based in cities like Rochester, Corning, New York City and White Plains support GENDA.
- Clergy from over 20 different denominations support GENDA.
Working together, we can make this happen! Start making those phone calls!