|See upcoming health events at Center Calendar: Health|
Lesbian Cancer Initiative
The Lesbian Cancer Initiative (LCI) offers cancer-related services for lesbians, bisexual women and transgender (LBT) community members, caregivers, partners and loved ones.
Lesbians, bisexual women and transgender people have a greater concentration of risk factors for breast cancer and other cancers than the general population.
LCI connects those at risk for, and going through, a cancer diagnosis to a broader community, and seeks to reduce and ultimately eliminate cancer-related health disparities in our New York City LBT communities.
For more information, call 646.556.9300 and ask for Lesbian Cancer Initiative, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Groups and Services
Please visit our calendar for upcoming group meeting times.
All LCI support services, with the exception of some community events, are free of charge. For those which require an intake, please call LCI at 646.556.9294 for an appointment.
The Breast & Chest Care Project (BCCP)
If you or someone in our communities that you know is in need of support to get breast or chest healthcare or screening, dealing with a breast cancer diagnosis, or just have some questions, the BCCP is here to help.
Our patient navigator and/or counselor will assist you in navigating the day-to-day challenges of engaging with medical systems (financial barriers, not knowing where to go or who can help, or any other concerns). We can also help with handling the overwhelming emotions related to pursuing breast or chest care. Don’t hesitate to call and ask for the Lesbian Cancer Initiative at 646.556.9300.
The Breast and Chest Care Project is supported in part by the Greater New York City Affiliate of Susan G. Komen®.Contact the BCCP today if you:
- Have never had a breast/chest exam and are over 20 years of age.
- Are 40 or over, haven’t had a mammogram in the last year and would like to schedule one with an LBT-affirming provider.
- Are in treatment for breast cancer, have received a new diagnosis, or are a survivor and would like to speak with someone to support you through your care.
- Are under 40 with a breast or chest symptom (discharge, redness, lump, skin changes), and need help getting the care you deserve.
- Are someone with a history of breast cancer, or any other chronic or life-threatening illness and you’re interested in LCI's Life Coaching Support Group.
- Are a cigarette smoker and thinking about quitting to reduce your cancer risk.
- Struggle with alcohol consumption or drug use and would like to reduce your cancer risk.
Life-Coaching for Cancer Survivors
This six-week group will help participants to develop and refine skills to reach life goals, embrace motivators and break through barriers, enhance health and well-being and increase satisfaction with life after cancer diagnosis.
Individual, goal-focused counseling for LBT people affected by the cancer experience. Counseling is offered to LBT people with a cancer diagnosis, LBT people caring for someone with a cancer diagnosis and LBT people who have lost a loved one to cancer. Intake required for those interested in receiving counseling.
Community referrals are made to providers and community members who need information or resources pertaining to LBT people and cancer.
LCI is currently accepting applications for a stipend-paid Peer Outreach Intern.
Find out more and apply today!